I have a 20-pound turkey I would like to cook slowly. What is the lowest possible temperature it can be cooked at, and for how long?
The lowest recommended temperature for roasting turkey is 160ºC/325ºF. Cooking at a lower temperature permits the multiplication of bacteria. A 10 kg (20 lb) turkey unstuffed will take approximately 3 ½ to 4 hours, a stuffed turkey 4 to 4 ½ hours. To ensure correct doneness it is important to take an internal cooking temperature. Please refer to my Handy Charts for this and other information.
I bought 2 mushroom and ham quiche, but they do not have any cooking instructions. What temperature would you recommend I cook them at?
I would recommend baking in a 350ºF (180ºC) oven for approximately 25 minutes. To ensure correct doneness insert a food thermometer in the centre to ensure a temperature of 160ºF (71ºC) is reached. Please refer to my Handy Charts for this and other information.
What’s the lowest temperature hot food can be stored at?
When storing hot food in a chaffing dish or on a steam table, for example, it is important that the internal temperature remain above 60C (140 F). For more information please read my Mrs. C’s Fact Sheet – Party Tips
Our church is having a turkey dinner. What temperature should the turkey be kept at to ensure its safety?
Once cooked, it should be kept above 60C (140 F). For more information please read my Mrs. C’s Fact Sheet – Party Tips
Are pizzas best baked when frozen or defrosted?
Pizza purchased from your grocery freezer has specific instructions for proper heating. Unless otherwise stated, for food safety the pizza should be cooked from a frozen state.
Can I boil frozen chicken drumsticks, without defrosting?
When chicken legs are boiled without defrosting, they may cook unevenly. The outside will be cooked and the centre may be just defrosting.
When using frozen homemade chicken stock, can I add it frozen to the soup I am making, or do I need to thaw it in the fridge first?
The best practice would be to thaw the stock in the refrigerator and reheat it to a piping hot temperature of 74C (165F). The soup once cooked can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can freeze it for longer storage and use within 2 to 3 months. I would freeze in individual or meal size servings. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat only once to a piping hot temperature of 74C (165F).
If you cook ground beef patties, then freeze, then heat/cook, is it safe to heat ones that didn’t get eaten the next day?
No, that is not safe. Reheat only enough patties for that day and leave the rest frozen. By doing this, bacteria that may be in the food will not have the added reheating and cooling time to multiply.
How long is a prepared bottle of baby formula good for sitting in room temperature? Is it safe to refrigerate and reheat?
Prepared baby formula is a perishable food that requires proper handling. Once prepared keep refrigerated and use within the indicated storage time; usually 24 to 48 hours. Heat the formula only once; do not reheat. Unused formula must be discarded. Once the baby has drank from the bottle there is an increased chance for bacterial growth in the formula. For detailed information on bottle feeding contact your local public health authority.
Is soup made with roasted chicken leftovers safe to reheat?
Yes, soup made with leftover chicken can be safe to reheat. It is important to ensure that the chicken was handled correctly prior to adding it to the soup. After it was cooked it should have been placed in the refrigerator or freezer and not left at room temperature for more than two hours. Once the soup has been prepared it should be cooled quickly and placed in either the refrigerator up to 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months. I recommend re-heating the soup quickly to an internal temperature of 164ºF (74ºC). Only reheat what will be consumed at that meal time. It is not a safe practice to reheat soup more than once.
I make a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon. The bacon makes the pork a pink color. Is this ok?
Yes, it is okay. The ingredients used in the production of the bacon are causing the pork tenderloin to turn pink.
What would cause cabbage rolls to turn black when cooked? Only the center ones were black. I had blanched the cabbage and froze it then made the cabbage rolls about a month later.
A variety of factors can cause cabbage to turn black. Fruits and vegetables have natural colour pigments – these pigments can react to a variety of factors such as acidity in tomato sauce, heat, cooper or aluminium cookware and/or utensils. Also fruits and vegetables can have lower level of pigments that only show up after cooking. For example, green cabbage can turn a very dark purple/black. In some incidences cabbage can also turn pink. If the cabbage you froze was fresh and in good condition prior to blanching and freezing your cabbage rolls are safe to eat. If the cabbage was stored in your refrigerator for longer than 2 weeks prior to blanching and freezing, I would recommend discarding the cabbage rolls. Old cabbage can turn dark brown/rusty.
- Hi! Can I thawed spaghetti sauce (with boeuf and other grounded meats) or frozen chicken broth directly from the freezer to the stove? I did that several times and everyting thaws quite fast in a pan heated at medium. Thanks!
- Yes, you can do that as long as you achieve the proper temperature to heat up the spaghetti sauce or the chicken broth and make sure that they are completely thawed and the heat is evenly spreaded throughout the food. It should be consumed without delays
- I cooked mac&cheese. It was in the hotcase at work for three hours at a temp. of 150ºF. How long is this good for? Can this be refrigerated and reheated again? How long is it good for refrigerated?
- Holding the Mac and cheese casserole at the temperature of 150 ºF is a safe temperature but three hours is a long time and the casserole may be overcooked. If cooled right away in the refrigerator, you could store the casserole for 3 to 4 days.
- is it safe to reheat a cooked chicken
- It is entirely safe to reheat a cooked chicken if that chicken was entirely cooked and kept under adequate conditions of refrigeration or freezing.
- My in-laws are retired farmers and love to throw large get togethers. There are always plenty of leftovers to take home. What I discovered after all these years is that they leave the leftover turkey and ham in the stove over night and pack it and freeze it (or give you leftovers to take home) in the morning. I have taken leftovers home the next day over the years without knowing that the meat was not stored properly. Luckily no one has been sick so far. I need to 'gently' get the point across to them that this is a dangerous way to store meat. Any thoughts?
- This is a difficult and sensitive situation! It is hard to communicate to someone that a long-time practice may not be safe. Their response will be, of course, that no one has gotten sick, so why is it a problem. Well, they may have been lucky all these years or, more likely, they have been unaware of anyone who did become ill. Was an illness passed off as a bout of the 24 hour flu or just too much activity over the holiday season. I suggest that you provided them with the fact sheets that you can find on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Food Safety Information Society websites. Also, after the meal, suggest that you or them take the turkey off the bones and package in smaller containers. Do it right away! Same with the ham. Divide into smaller sizes and store in the fridge ready for family to take home as leftovers.
- how long will cooked meat last in the fridge and then be reheated to be eaten?
- Cooked meat will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It should be reheated thoroughly and consumed within that time.
- I opened a can of tomato sauce and only needed to use half a can, i put the other half in a tupperware bowl in the fridge, it has been in the fridge for nine days (uncooked) can I still use it? If not, how long can uncooked sauce stay in the fridge
- Prepared foods such as the tomato sauce can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Freeze it if you will not use it in that time. You should not use the sauce that has been left for 9 days.
- What temperature promotes the growth of bacteria?
- In general, the danger zone as it is called is located between 4 degrees C and 60 degrees C (40 degrees F and 140 degrees F). Between these temperatures, you will have bacterial growth with a peak growth at around 35 degrees C (95 degrees F). Even if bacteria thrive in warmer temperatures, they do enjoy room temperature as well, where food left out of the refrigerator will spoil faster.
It is well established that Listeria monocytogenes can grow at the refrigerated temperature of 4 degrees C (40 degrees F).
- Should we leave hot food out to cool down before putting them in the refrigerator?
- Check out the frequently asked questions on my web site and you will find this answer. You do not need to cool hot food before you put it into the fridge. Very hot food can be left out for 30 minutes before refrigerating. The key is to cool hot food quickly to prevent bacteria growth. Bacteria grow very well in the temperature range of 4ºC to 60ºF. Food should be cooled to 4ºC or lower as quickly as possible. For example, store food in shallow containers, stir hot foods occassionally to speed-up cooling and do not "stuff" your fridge. Allow cool air to circulate around food.
- I cooked chicken marsala on Saturday, and reheated it on Sunday. There were two portions left, which I cooled and then put in the freezer. Can I defrost them, and then heat in the microwave? Many thanks, Hilda.
- That depends if your chicken marsala was cooled quickly before freezing, it will be safe to reheat them in the microwave. But be sure all the chicken is piping hot. Next time only reheat what you plan to use and freeze the remainder right away.
- How do I reheat meat that has been frozen after the initial cooking? I always end up with dried out, tough meat slices?
- Thaw your cooked meat, covered, in the refrigerator. If reheating in the oven, cover with foil and add a bit of gravy or broth to keep the meat moist. The meat can also be reheated, covered with plastic food wrap in the microwave, adding some moisture, if desired. Be sure to reheat to a safe 165F (74 C).
- We are preparing for a wedding this afternoon. The bride and groom want to serve hamburgers and hot dogs to keep with the Fourth of July tradition. They are planning to have all of this cooked before 2:00, and the wedding is not until 6:00. How do they need to keep 100 hamburgers and hot dogs fresh to feed their guests, without making them sick? And, how do you keep the hamburgers from drying out?
- The cooked hamburgers and hot dogs should be treated like leftover cooked meat. Spread them on shallow trays and refrigerate as soon as possible after cooking. When ready to serve, reheat them quickly to piping hot 77C/170 F.
- I would like to make a large spaghetti sauce et put it in Mason jars to store it on shelves. How should I proceed to sterilize my jars with the sauce in them?
- If your spaghetti sauce does not contain meat, the jars can be processed in a boiling water canner counting the time after the water returns to a boil. Process 500 mL jars 35 minutes, 1 L jars 40 minutes and 1.5 L jars 50 minutes. If the sauce contains meat, it should be processed in a pressure canner. In a weighted gauge pressure canner at 1,000 ft (305 m) process 500 mL jars 60 minutes, 1 L jars - 70 minutes at 10 lb. (69 kPa).
- Can I roast chicken legs from frozen, or partly frozen. A friend told me this was safe to do as long as the chicken is cooked thoroughly, but I'm not sure I agree. I would value your opinion. Thanks, Jackie
- If frozen chicken legs are thoroughly cooked without defrosting, they may cook unevenly. The outside will be well done while the inside is not cooked to a safe temperature. A food thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the leg should measure
170 oF /77 oC.
- Can you cook partly frozen meat? or do you have to wait until it is completely frozen and thawed?
- You can cook partly frozen meat but it is recommended that you thaw the meat first in the refrigerator prior to cook it. The risk of cooking frozen meat is that the middle part of the meat might not be cooked properly. Obviously, the cooking time will be longer. You might want to use a food thermometer to measure the temperature of the meat at its thickest point to make sure that it will be cooked according to the temperature indicated on my Handing Charts that you can find on my website.
- What are the various cooking methods for canned foods?
- This is hard to answer as it may depend on the type of canned food to which you refer. Most often, canned goods such as vegetables, stews etc. can be heated in a saucepan on the stove or in a glass casserole in the microwave oven. For safe cooking, bring the contents to a boil.
- I served fried chicken drumsticks tonight that were a little pink in areas way in the inside...but done on the outside..how do i know if they were done..and did i just poison me and my family? What are the chances of us getting sick
- The colour of cooked chicken is not an indication of doneness. The only way to be sure poultry and meat are cooked to a temperature high enough to destroy harmful bacteria is to use a food thermometer. Insert in the thickest part of the food to a depth of 1 1/2 inches (4 cm). For chicken pieces it should measure 170 degrees F (77 degrees C).
- How can I prepare a frozen beef filet so the meat stays tender? Should I put it directly in the oven with a wine sauce or should I thaw it first (in the refrigerator, at room temperature or in the microwave)? Thanks!
- The beef filet should be thawed in the refrigerator before cooking so that it cooks evenly to a safe temperature. Or it can be thawed in the microwave, if it is cooked immediately.
- I cooked chicken breasts [stuffed with a pre-cooked mixture of sweet potato, ham, onions and sausage] night before last for dinner. We had an emergency and had to go out so put them in the refrigerator instead. Are they safe to eat tonight? How can I safely reheat them?
- Your stuffed chicken breasts will be safe to eat tonight. Cooked foods can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It is also important to ensure that your meat has not sat at room temperature for more than two hours. I am assuming that you cooked the meat and then put in the refrigerator right away. You can reheat the chicken breast in the oven or microwave - cook to a temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- At what temperature should I set my deep-freezer? It contains several kinds of meat. Thanks!
- Frozen food should be stored at a temperature of -18ºC (0º F).
- What temperature should you reheat spaghetti with meat after it has been stored in the refrigerator for one day? Thank you
- Leftovers should be reheated to a temperature of 164ºF (74ºC).
- Can we cook meat in the microwave? Thanks!
- Yes, meat can be cooked in a microwave oven however, you will find that it does not brown as nicely as it would in a conventional oven. As always, to ensure the meat is cooked use a food thermometer to ensure that it has been cooked to the right temperature. Check out the charts on my web site to find the recommended internal cooking temperature for the various kinds of meat. Use the manual that comes with your microwave to check how long the meat should be cooked and how much standing time is required. Standing time is the time the food requires to finish cooking once it is taken out of the microwave oven.
- Can I heat pastas that I cooked few hours ago? How can I cook them so they would be good?
- Pasta can be cooked ahead and refrigerated or frozen. It should be slightly under done and then put into boiling water, just long enough to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Hi! I purchase ground meat to make meatballs that I freeze afterwards. I would like to know if after cooking them a first time in a soup, I can warm it up and consume it the day after (or in two days) without any problems knowing that is was kept refrigerated? I live in the USA and the meat that I buy comes on a deep tray vacuum packed and has a best before date good for up to a week (meat stays red). What do you think of that? Thanks!
- I assume that you make your meatballs from the fresh ground beef and freeze them right away. Once you cook the meatballs, you can store them in the refrigerator as you would other leftovers, for 3 to 4 days. Or you could freeze the cooked meatballs, for up to 3 months.
While the package of ground beef will be okay until the best before date, once the package of ground beef is opened, it should be cooked or frozen within 1 day.
- When I purchase onions in 2 lbs or 5 lbs bags where should I keep them? Thanks!
The following information about storing onions can be found on the CPMA website at the following link: http://www.cpma.ca/Nutrition/en/vegetables.asp#Onions
To store onions : keep uncovered in a dry dark place for up to two months or at room temperature for up to three weeks. Cover cut portions and refrigerate for up to four days.
The CFIA website also has information on their website in a document entitled Food Safety Facts for Fresh Fruits and Vegetablesat the following link: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/concen/specif/fruvege.shtml
You will find information on storage of onions under the following heading : Proper Storage Techniques for Fresh Produce
Only at Room Temperature and Preferably not in the Refrigerator:bananas, garlic, globe onions, mature potatoes, pumpkins, rutabagas, sweet potatoes.
- Dear Mrs Cookwell, I am making lasagne from some FROZEN mincemeat. If I have some lasagne leftover, can I put it in the fridge and reheat it the next day? Thank you!
- Yes, you can refrigerate the leftover lasagne and reheat it the next day. In fact lasagne often tastes better the second day! The key is to ensure that your lasagne has been thoroughly cooked in the first place. Use a food thermometer to make sure the internal temperature has reached 160ºF (71ºC). And then, once it is cooked, make sure the leftovers are refrigerated as soon as possible. Don't let the lasagne sit at room temperature for more than two hours. If you divide the lasagne into smaller containers, it will cool much more quickly in the fridge. You can store the leftovers for 3 to 4 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- We cooked a precooked ham last Sunday then put it in the fridge. On Friday we made ham, cheese and potatoes. Can the left overs be eaten this Sunday?
- For best quality and to ensure safety of food, I always recommend that leftovers be eaten within 4 to 5 days. Freeze the food if you think that you won't be able to eat it in that time. Remember, when in doubt, throw it out.
- Cooking with a slow-cooker; is it microbiologically safe?
- The slow cooker cooks foods slowly at a low, safe temperature - generally between 170ºF and 280ºF. The direct heat from the pot, lengthy cooking and steam created within the tightly-covered container combine to destroy bacteria and make the slow cooker a safe process for cooking foods. It is important to always start with thawed, not frozen food. Smaller pieces of food ensure thorough cooking. Do not use the slow cooker for larger pieces like roasts or whole chickens, etc. And, fill the cooker no less than half full and nor more than 2/3 full.
- Can I put in the refrigerator some left over spaghetti sauce (not eaten but has been warmed up) and heat it up again the next day or in two days?
- As long as the spaghetti sauce did not sit a room temperature for more than 2 hours, you can put it in the refrigerator and use it the day after or in two days. Leftovers should be cool down right away and the best way to do so is to put them in the refrigerator as soon as possible. The use of shallow containers is recommended to cool them quickly. If freshly made, you spaghetti sauce should be able to keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- HI, I HAVE A RICE COOKER. IT IS SUSPOSE TO HEAT UP TOO 180-185 ON WARM. ICOOKED PORK LOIN CHOPS ALNIGHT ON WARM. MEAT WAS A LITTLE BIT FROZEN. IN THE MORNING IT WAS STILL BLOODY. IS IT SAFE FROM BACTERIA'S THANK YOU!
- I recommend discarding the meat as it appears that it has not been thorougly cooked and will have been in the danger zone temperature for too long. Also check the instructions for your rice cooker. I think cooking loin chops in it is an inappropriate use of this appliance. Also, make sure that the rice cooker is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before you use it cook any more food.
- I made lasagne 6-days ago, and it has been in the fridge ever since can I reheat it and use it? It looks good and smell's fine.
- I do recommend to eat leftovers within 3 to4 days. However this is a guideline and, as long as the lasagne has not developed an odour, or mould or a slimey appearance, it may still be safe to eat. As always, when in doubt, throw it out. In the future, you may consider freezing a portion of the lasagne if you don't think you will be able to eat it all within a few days.
- How long should i cook my eggs over medium?
- For the best instructions on cooking eggs, check out the website of the Canadian Egg Marketing Agency. www.canadaegg.ca
- My partner made pasta last night for tea and I noticed when rinsing the tub for the recycle bin that the tomato and mascerprone sauce went off 3 days ago!! It tasted fine but now I’m wondering if I am going to be ill?
- Commercially prepared products carry expiry date to indicate to the consumer that before the date, the product should maintain its quality. This is not to say that the product is no good or represent a health hazard once that date went by. If the product has not be temperature abused during that time, it is unlikely that you will be sick. Usually a tomato based product is acid and molds will most likely be the microorganism that would spoil the sauce.
- I'm making a veal roast stuffed with portobello mushrooms, ground pork, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, potato bread, fontina cheese, and sundried tomatoes (stuffing is cooked on stovetop with a bit of butter)This is for Christmas day and I was wondering if it's safe to stuff and roll it on Dec. 24th, refrigerate it overnight and roast on the 25th. Thank you so much for your help. A.N.
- No it is not safe to stuff your veal roast the day before cooking it. Stuffing is a high risk food. If it is cooked on the stovetop, it can be made the 24th and refrigerated. If not, refrigerate the wet and dry ingredients separately until ready to combine and stuff the roast just before cooking.
- I cooked spaghetti sauce and left it on the counter in an electric frying pan for 6 hrs, refrigerated it. Then I reheated it and left it on low for 4 hours,(because I had to help my daughter with something) made lasagne with the warm sauce. I baked it at 350 for 40 minutes cooled it and froze. Will it be alright?
- If spaghetti sauce has been left at room temperature for longer than two hours, it should be discarded not used in a lasagne because it may be contaminated with harmful bacteria and spores which may be heat resistant
- I made some chicken stock for my 6 month old baby, froze it then used 7 cubes of it to make a bolognese sauce. Is this ok to freeze even though the chicken stock was in the freezer? I heard that you cant refreeze once thawed but it would be really useful if this wasn't the case with chicken stock! Thanks
- If your chicken stock cubes were thawed directly in the refrigerator or added frozen ior thawed in your bolognese sauce that was cooked subsequently cooked, yes, it will be safe to freeze your sauce containing the previously frozen chicken stock as long as the bolognese sauce was cool down rapidly and put in the freezer without delays.
- Can we freeze a stuffed veal roast cooked in a roaster?
- A stuffed veal roast, which has been cooked to a safe temperature of 71C/160F, can be safely frozen. However, it should be chilled quickly and the best way to do this would be to slice it and spread on a tray or in a shallow pan.
- Hi I made a ham for our family Christmas dinner, actually I made two, large family. I ended up with a lot of ham left over(one half of a large ham). That is a good thing. I am now making a brunch for my children (Ukrainian Christmas) on Saturday this week. Is there a way to re-heat this ham without having it come out dry, without adding anything extra to it?? Thanks
- Cooked ham can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Reheat sealed in a foil packet.
- Can I cooked some guinea fowl supremes (grilled in the pan and cooked in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes depending of their size; refrigerate them and warm them up the day after for dinner? If so, at what temperature and how to do it(sauce covered?) to avoid them from drying? Thanks!
- This is a safe thing to do if the supremes are completely cooked to a safe temperature of 77C/170F measured with a food thermometer. Then if they are spread in a shallow container and refrigerated promptly; covered when cold. Reheat quickly to 77C/170F. Cover to prevent dryness and you may want to add a small amount of chicken broth to the pan.
- I bought fresh un-cooked chicken breasts on Monday with the intent to marinade them overnight and eat on Tuesday evening, however I had a last minute change of plans Tuesday and was unable to cook the chicken breasts. So the chicken has been been sitting in a ziploc bag with the marinade in the fridge since Monday night. Are they still safe to cook Wednesday, and how long can the un-cooked chicken be safely kept in the fridge?
- Uncooked chicken can be safely kept in the fridge for 2-3 days. But, marinate no longer than overnight.
- I like to make pasta sauce (with meat) a day before event. I use a slow cooker. I bring everything to a boil in it and then reduce it to 150 degrees F where it continues on and off and is always hot. I have left this at this temp for up to 48 hours steady. Is this safe. Guests just eat as needed, it even stays on thru the evening. Is this too long to simmer.
- This is not a safe practice. Once cooked, the sauce should not be kept hot for longer than two hours. And the cooking temperature is also not safe. To prevent the development of harmful bacteria, it should not be lower that 185 degrees F/85 degrees C. It would be safer to cook the sauce at a safer temperature and when cooked, remove from the pot and chill quickly. When ready to serve, reheat on your stove and transfer it to the slow cooker to keep hot while serving.
- What can I add to ground beef patties(hamburgers)so that after refrigeration and reheating the hamburgers will taste good and not have that funny leftover meat taste. Also what is the best way to cook hamburgers that you want to reheat the next day?
- You will find directions for preparing, cooking and reheating ground beef patties on the Beef Information Centre web site: www.beefinfo.org.
- Can we cook ground meat in a slow cooker? Thanks!
- As long as ground meat is heated to above 71C/160F as measured with a food thermometer in the slow cooker it will be safe. Browning the meat before putting it in the slow cooker enhances the flavour and colour.
- We use a rice cooker almost every other day. How long is it safe to eat the rice that remains in the cooker on the warm setting of the steamer.
- The safety depends on the temperature of the rice when your cooker is on the warm setting. To be safe, the rice should be warmer than 60C/140F to prevent harmful bacteria from growing such as Bacillu cereus known to contaminate rice and produce spores resistant to heat. Test the temperature with a food thermometer. If you cannot maintain that high temperature, the rice should be refrigerated within two hours from its cooking. To be sure all the rice is at a safe temperature, it should be stirred often.
- I have found in my freezer at minus 18, some chicken breasts that have been there for 2 years. They still look good and do not seem to have any freezer burns. Can we eat them or would we be sick?
- The recommended maximum time for storage of chicken pieces in the freezer is six months. If stored longer there will be gradual loss of quality and there may be food safety issues.
- Is it ok for bacon to sit out (at room temperature) after it has been cooked? If so, for how long?
- Cooked bacon should not be left at room temperature for longer than two hours (one hour in the summer) or there is a risk of the development of harmful bacteria.
- I have a recipe for rice pudding made on rice milk, rice, egg,sugar - how long can I keep it in the fridge after cooking so that it's still be ok to eat?
- Egg rich foods should be kept refrigerated and eaten within three to four days.
- How long is uncooked bacon good for after it has been defrosted and sits in the fridge.
- Raw bacon can be safely refrigerated for seven days. So once defrosted, cook within seven days including the time refrigerated before freezing. So before freezing, divide the bacon into portions which can be used quickly.
- My ham came with no packaging. How do I tell if it is or isn't precooked?
- When in doubt about whether a ham is completely cooked or partially cooked, cook to the safe temperature for partially cooked ham. A meat thermometor inserted into the ham not touching the bone should measure 160 degrees F(70 degrees C).
- I browned stewing beef and put it into a crock pot. Checking one and a half hours later, I discovered that it was not plugged in. Is it safe to cook this meat? I usually cook it overnight for 10 to 12 hours.
- It may not be safe to cook this meat. By browning, it was heated to the ideal temperature to boost the growth of harmful bacteria that would continue to multiply during the 1 1/2 hours. Some bacteria produce heat resistent toxins which are not destroyed by cooking.
- How often should you replace your bbq grill cleaning brush and how/where should it be stored? Are there any risks of using an old, not so clean one?
- A barbecue grill cleaning brush should be replaced as soon as it shows signs of wear. The bristles could break off or fall out on the grill and become lodged in the food. If the metal bristles are consumed they may cause serious injury. Store brushes away from chemical contaminants. There are no risks of bacterial contamination from old or not so clean grill cleaning brushes as any bacteria transferred to the grill will be destroyed by the heat.
- Is it ok to cover tightly hot foods right after you cook them?
- If you are planning to store the food in the refrigerator or freezer, it should be cooled and refrigerated as quickly as possible to keep harmful bacteria from growing. So leave the food uncovered to allow the heat to escape more quickly.Cover when chilled.
- I already cooked my spaghetti sauce and I would like to put it in jars and sterilize it in a conventional oven? How can I do this?
- Foods cannot be safely preserved in an oven. Spaghetti sauce should be processed in a pressure canner. For more information, please consult the following website from Beenardin:
- When reheating a large pasta dish (in this case chicken manicotti), at what temperature should I set the oven, and for how long should I leave it in to re-heat it? Thank you!
- A casserole like a large pasta should be heated quickly to piping hot. Use a food thermometer to check the temperature has reached 74C/165F ro destroy any microbes that may have been introduced since cooking.
- Hi! I bought a guinea fowl and I am asking myself if like a chicken I can cook it on barbecue? Thank you!
Guinea fowl can be cooked by any method suitable for chicken. But because it tends to be drier, moist cooking methods are better. Cook whole fowl to an internal temperature of 85C/185F as measured with a food thermometer in the thickest end of the breast.
- I used homemade chicken broth from the freezer in a potato soup recipe. Can I refreeze the left over soup?
If the potato soup has been brought to a full rolling boil to destroy any pathogens that may be present, and the leftover soup was cooled quickly, it can be refrozen.
- Can i put the food stuff lower in room temperature directly in the microwave? Is it a safe way to reheat?
- Your question confuses me a bit. Leftover foods should be refrigerated not stored at low room temperature where there is a high risk for the development of harmful bacteria. Yes, foods can be safely reheated in the microwave.To destroy any bacteria which may have been introduced since the last cooking, reheat quickly to 74C/165 F. And because microwave ovens sometimes reheat unevenly, rotate or stir the food partway through the heating.
- How long can you refrigerate bacon that you've precooked for use later. I have kept it up to 3 weeks and it seems to be okay? Thank you!
- It is true that bacon is a type of food that is high in salt content allowing it to last a little bit longer. The fact that it is pre-cooked may help as well. If the bacon has been wrapped and purchased this way, check the expiry date of the product. If the bacon has been prepared at home, keeping it in the refrigerator for three weeks might be a little bit long. Even if the decaying bacteria might take time to spoil the product, the high fat content can become rancid in the presence of oxygen giving an off taste to the bacon. It would be wise to freeze the product to extend safely its shelf life.
- I'm making frozen dinners and was wondering if I can store tomato sauces (and things w/tomato's) in a metal pan?
- It depends on the type of metal pan. Do not store foods for long periods of time in aluminum pans. And highly acidic foods should not be stored in stainless steel containers.
- What is the risk of consuming raw hot dogs weiners as children do?
- There is a possibility that hot dogs may be contaminated with the harmful bacteria Listeria after they are produced. This bacteria multiplies in the fridge and if eaten by those at risk for food borne illness such as children, it can make them very sick. Hot dogs should be cooked until a thermometer inserted measures 74C/165F for two minutes.
- How long should it take to cook a turkey leg of 650 grams and at what temperature? Thank you.
- The cooking time will be the time necessary for the internal temperature of the turkey leg, measured with a food thermometer, to reach 77 degrees C / 170 degrees F. At that temperature, the turkey leg will be ready and safe to eat.
- I would like to know if a poached egg is better for your health when it is lightly poached, that is when the yolk is completely liquid instead of been firmly cooked like a hard boiled egg? Thanks!
- It is recommend by Health Canada that eggs should be cooked or poached until teh yolk is firm to make sure that any harmful bacteria that could be present will be destroyed. The eggs should be cooked until they reach a temperature of 63 degrees C / 145 degres F for 15 seconds. That way, it will be safer for your health.
- I purchased 5 lbs of ground beef and immediately froze it. It has just finished thawing in the refrigerator and at this time still has ice crystals in it. I am mixing the ground beef with dry mixes to make hamburger patties. Is it safe to refreeze these patties immediately without cooking?
- Ground beef is a high risk product for contamination with harmful bacteria. Freezing does not destroy these bacteria. So the risk will be even higher once you add dry mixes and shape into patties, then refreeze. The safe way to do this would be to add the mixes to the raw meat and shape into patties before the initial freezing.
- I purchased a 1500 watt electric oven for pizza. There is only one control that has numbers one to five on it and no explanation as to which number should I used to cook a frozen or a fresh pizza. Thank you!
- To cook the pizzas, you would normally follow the instructions written on the box where they will indicate the temperature and the time of cooking. You will need to experiment with your oven by using an oven thermometer and see what temperatures each umber yield. Once those values established, it will be much easier for you to use the oven.
- I bought frozen mix vegetables on a very hot day and had left the shopping in the car for almost an hour before I eventually got home to put my shopping away in the freezer. The frozen mixed veg packet i think was nearly thawing as i felt some of the water melting. But I still want and put the packet in my freezer as soon as I got home. Does this mean that my food has gone off ? - is it still safe to use that frozen mixed veg from frozen again ? Many thanks.
- The vegetables can be refrozen. But there may be loss of texture and flavour.
- A friend of mine is making a pot of beef stew for a camping trip next week. He is also making a pot of spaghetti sauce w/ grnd beef. In the past these dishes were cooked cooled and frozen until the day we would eat them at the camp. This year I was informed that he will be jarring them, and they will stay at room temp until we eat. Is this safe???
- These prepared foods would only be safe to store at room temperature if they were made following reliable directions and canned in a pressure canner at the correct pressure for the correct amount of time. Otherwise there is a high risk of the development of harmful bacteria and spoilage.
- i want to cook lamb shoulder slowly to tenderize it i wrap it in ovenproof bags with herbs and seasonings i think if i bake it at 177ºC (350ºF) 'til it reaches 82ºC (180ºF) and then turn down the oven to 95ºC (200ºF) and leave it for 3 hours it will be tender is this safe?
- Yes, this will be safe. For best results though, be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions on the ovenproof cooking bags.
- How long after the expiration date is it safe to eat vegetarian hotdogs/hamburgers?
- Vegetarian hot dogs and hamburgers should be consumed before their expiry date; date where the manufacturer guarantees that his products are at the highest quality.
- Would it be harmful to cook and eat Chinese Egg Rolls that have been in the refrigerator a week?
- It could be harmful to cook and eat egg rolls that have been refrigerated longer than three days. Check ti see if the packaging had a best before date on it and the ways they should be preserved.
- I would like to know what type of eggs is safe for Salmonella to prepare a homemade mayonnaise and a tiramisu cake that do not require cooking? Thank you!
- All raw eggs should be cooked to make sure that all bacteria including the pathogens are eliminated. However, it is safe to use pasteurized eggs in recipes like mayonnaise or tiramisu which do not require cooking.
- I have cooked mincemeat which I heated the next morning for the childrens lunchboxes. The children will be eating it 5 hours later - is it better to let them have the cold meat rather than warmed up meat for lunch as it will not be eater immediately?
- Warm meat would not be safe as at that temperature harmful bacteria may develop after two hours. So unless you put the hot meat in a warmed thermos container in a very well insulated bag which will keep it hot until eaten, it would be better to let them have the meat cold. But the cold meat should be packed with a freezer gel pack or frozen juice box in an insulated lunch bag to keep the meat at refrigerator temperature until eaten.
- If I want to refreeze a thawed food, how long and at what temperature should I cook it first?
- If the food was thawed in the refrigerator and is always very coll to the touch, it may be refrozen without cooking as long as it has not passed its preservation time in the refrigerator. If you cook it before refreezing, it should be thoroughly cooked at your normal cooking temperature. Cool down rapidly and as needed, separate in indivisual portions before freezing.
- I am wondering if I can prepare a vegetable soup using the juice coming from the ham?
- Liquid which comes from a ham is not like a broth made from simmering bones with water and vegetables. It is salty water and may contain some nitrates. Do not use it in soup.
- I purchased 5 lbs of boneless chicken breast and it expired on one day ago, it is safe to eat?
- Raw chicken breasts should be cooked or frozen on or before the Best Before Date. After that there will be loss of quality and there is a risk of multiplication of harmful bacteria that could cause problem if the breasts are not properly cooked.
- Is it possible to keep left-over meals of vegetables and meat in an aluminium or metal pan in the refrigerator for two days?
- The longer food is stored in aluminum, the greater the amount that gets into food.Leafy vegetables and acidic foods, such as tomatoes and citrus products, absorb the most aluminum. Also do not store foods that are slightly acidic, such as stewed tomatoes or rhubarb in stainless steel containers.
- I thawed a lb of ground beef, is it okay to keep it in the fridge till tomrow for dinner??
- Thawed ground beef should be kept refrigerated and cooked within one to two days.
- Hello I have had some frozen chickens and ducks in my freezer for almost years . Should I be throwing them out?
- Whole frozen chicken can be stored in the freezer for one year, pieces for 6 months. Raw duck can be stored in the freezer for 6 months.
- Hi! I am sorry, I did not have the right e-mail address. I would like to know if I can prepare a mayonnaise based salad dressing three days before eating it? Thanks you!
- There should not be any problem to prepare it three days in advance as long as you keep it refrigerated all the time.
- Hi! I froze some meat purchaed raw. I thawed it and cooked it. Can I freeze the leftover cooked meat? Thank you
- Once meat that has been frozen is thawed and cooked, the leftovers may be safely refrozen. But package in single use portions so it does not have to be defrosted and refrozen again.
- Hi! I keep my meat spaghetti sauce in mason jars. I pour the very hot sauce in clean not sterilized jars et I close the lid rapidly. Jars that are sealed are kept in the refrigerator. Jars that do not seal are consumed immediately. I never had any problems with that method wich has been used for so many years now. What do you think?
- You are very fortunate that you have not been killed by botulism.To be safe for storage in the fridge for longer than 3 to 4 days, meat spaghetti sauce must be made and pressure canned following a reliable recipe.
- I recently attended a public function where there was cooked (breaded) chicken being served at room temperature-it had been refrigerated from leftovers from the previous night's dinner. It probably had already sat out that night for several hours at room temperature on a buffet table. This leftover chicken had NOT been reheated and was set out at room temperature the SECOND day from 11am until approx. 2:30pm. Then it was put back into the fridge only to be brought out AGAIN to sit on a room temperature buffet table. I questioned this practise citing the 'danger zone' and 'two hour rule' but was told that 'once it goes back into a fridge it's like turning the clock back'. I couldn't believe this as I was educated (I have been Food Safety certified several times in B.C.) that we should not even leave hot foods (especially chicken!) out on a dinner table (eg. turkey on Thanksgiving) for very long and that 2 hours was definitely well into the danger zone. Never mind the concept of serving hot foods hot and cold foods cold! Even more disturbing, this 'expert' apparently works for Canada Food Safety.
- Your instincts were correct! As this occurred at a facility serving food to the public, the local Public/Environmental Health Office is the organization that would be called to register a concern.
- My sister gave me 40 thawed (that day) Octoberfest Sausage. these sausage were initially purchased frozen and precooked. I am wondering if I can refreeze these or if I should be recooking them first and then freezing them? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
- If the sausage has been thawed in the refrigerator (the safest method), you can safely refreeze the sausages. There is no need to recook unless you feel they were not cooked completely. However, if the sausages were thawed in the microwave, where uneven heat distribution occurs, it is best to eat them within 1 - 2 days of cooking.
- I have a whole chicken ready for cooking in the oven (a little bit less than 2 pounds) at 5h00 pm and I do not know at what temperature and for how long should I put it in? Thanks!
- Your chicken should be cooked in a preheated oven at 325 to 350 degrees. The Chicken Farmers of Canada recommend the chicken be roasted until a food thermometer inserted in the thickest end of the breast measures 82C (180F).
- Is it safe to refreeze schneiders red hot weiners... I had a case of frozen weiners and i thawed the entire thing by accident, all were still very cold but thawed just the same... can I refreeze and use them. thanks for your help Karen
- Yes, provided the wieners were thawed in the refrigerator, and not on the counter or in the microwave.
- How long will chopped garlic last at room temperature.
- Do not leave chopped garlic or any other cut fruit or vegetable unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours. Cut surfaces are more susceptible to bacterial contamination and quality loss. If you must chop your garlic, refrigerate for no longer than 2 days.
- Homemade clam chowder. I cooked it and put it into containers then let it sit out for 5 hours. is it safe to eat
- It will be risky to eat that clam chowder as it spent too much time cooling down in the danger zone temperatures of between 4ºC (40ºF) and 60ºC (140ºF). Bacteria and spores thrive at those temperatures and their presence and production of toxins could cause food poisoning and seafoods could be worst. It is recommended to refrigerate food within two hours after been cooked. Shallow contaniners are recommended to accelerate the cooling process. i recommend you not to consume that chowder.
- is it safe to eat canned mushrooms without cooking them?
- Yes, commercial canning is done under pressure at high temperatures (242º F or 116º C). This not only cooks the mushrooms but destroys harmful bacteria that may be present.
- what is the maximum time that cooked or processed food should be left to cool for before refrigeration?
- 2 hours. If you want to speed things up, pack in smaller containers and the food will cool more quickly. Refrigerate immediately.
- Vegetables that are in oil like peppers or olives, etc... How long can we keep them? I received small jars of vegetables and peppers that are in oil. Thank you!
- Are your jars of vegetables in oil homemade or commercially made. There is a risk of botulism developing when vegetables are stored in oil at home. Commercially prepared vegetables in oil would have a preservative and should have a Best Before Date on the label.
- i have had my turkey meat no carcass just the meat in the fridge since thursday. can i still eat it today this would be 7 days including today?
- Turkey pieces should be consumed within 2 days of cooking. Freeze leftover portions that can not be eaten in that time frame.
- My rice cooker has a plastic steamer basket and states it can be used to steam fish and veggies. Is it also safe to steam chicken?
- Check with the manufacturer of your rice cooker about the safety of steaming chicken. And if you do steam it, be sure it is cooked to a 77C/170F.
- How long can you keep homemade clam chowder in the refrig?
- Homemade clam chowder may be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
- I purchased a stuffed pork roast last Saturday with the intent on cooking it soon. It is thursday and it is still in my fridge. There is no best before date on it only the date it was packaged, which was the day before I bought it. Is it still safe to cook? Thanks Darlene
- For optimum quality and freshness, pork roasts should be cooked within 3 - 4 days of packaging, or immediately frozen.
- I made vegetable beef soup in a stainless steel pan. The soup is a tomatoe base soup. Is it ok to store the soup in the refrigerator in the stainless steel pan?
- Manufacturers caution against allowing acidic foods such as tomato based vegetables soup to remain in a stainless steel pot for long periods. Although there are no known health hazards such as bacterial contamination or leaching of the metal, undissolved salt will pit the steel surfaces making it more difficult to safely clean the pot.
- My clam chowder expiration date is Nov 07. It is Dec 07. is it still okay to eat?
- November 07 is the date the manufacturer guarantees freshness and quality. You should not eat the soup one month past this date.
- if I cook chicken breasts, slice them thinly and freeze, can I then put them in a sandwich (frozen) and eat them at lunch when they have thawed without reheating?
- This would be fine. Be sure to work clean (washing hands and surfaces well with hot soapy water) to avoid cross contamination, and to chill and freeze the chicken quickly to minimize bacterial growth.
- Hi! Frozen, cokked jamaican beef patties were sent to me by UPS from Toronto, Canada on Dec 21. They were supposed to be delivered overnight but did not arrive until today Dec 24 at 1 pm. They were still cold but not frozen. Are they still edible or could they pose a hhealth risk? I live in British Columbia , Canada
- Although the beef patties were cooked, they are still considered a perishable food product that requires refrigeration or freezing. As the beef patties had thawed, you will need to make a judgment call. If they were as cold as coming out of the refrigerator, they would be safe to use. If they did not feel that cold, they may pose a food safety risk.
- At what temperature and for how long should we warm up a turkey pie the size of a regular pie so it would be hot but not dry? Thank you!
- Heat a turkey pie in an oven at 350 to 375 degrees until a food thermometer inserted in the pie registers 165F/74C.
- Mrs Cookwell, My mum works for a company that provide regenerated food for the elderly. The freezer that stores the meals was left open for approx 18 hrs on a summers night. The dinners were defrosting. The company jsut closed the freezer up. Was my mum right to be concerned about the re frozen meals?
- As your question concerns food prepared for public consumption, your mum may want to contact her local Public Health Inspector to voice her concerns.
- I cooked Fresh organic Christmas turkey and refrigerated and froze some same day, Thawed and made Turkey pot pie (all ingredients precooked)24 hours ago and refrigerated. We ate one today and I have one more. Can I freeze it safely?
- Pending that you have initially cooked your turkey at the right temperature and thawed the turkey meat in the refrigerator, it will be safe to freeze the left over pot pie that you have.
- My mom makes homemade Italian sausage and hangs it to dry in the cellar for a couple of months. White mold forms on the outside of the sausage. Should I be concerned about the mold? Will this type of mold make us sick or enable mold to grow elsewhere in our home?
- This is a very risky practice unless she is able to control and measure moisture in the air and room temperature as well as water activity in the sausage. The area the sausage is drying in should be self-contained. If the white mould is growing, what else is growing? There is potential for harmful and even deadly bacteria to grow in this environment (E. coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Staph. etc.) This may be a traditional recipe and no one has been sick, yet. I do not recommend this practice or eating this sausage.
- I left a cooked porkchop in a sealed contaier out of the fridge by accident is it still good?
- If the pork chop was left out longer than 2 hours, there is a risk of food-borne illness if you consume the chop. Please throw it out!
- How do you freeze onions?
- If you want to store for a long period of time, chop or cut and blanch the onions for 2 minutes, cool, drain and pack into freezer bags. Overwrap or place a second bag around it to prevent onion odours from contaminating other foods. They may be stored for 6 months.
- We plan on going on a picnic and have a request for hot dogs. We don't have a grill where we'll be going. Can I boil the hot dogs at home and then store them in a crock-pot to keep them warm and for how long will the hot dogs be good?
- You may want to serve cold food instead of hot dogs. If transporting boiled hot dogs a short distance, drain and keep hot by wrapping well in insulating towels or blankets. The hot dogs must be kept hotter than 60 degrees C/140 degrees F and should be served within two hours of cooking.
- I have asked if I could freeze mushrooms and how can I do that and I did not get an answer. They have been in the refrigerator for 3 days now; are they still good? Thanks!
- Button mushrooms can be frozen whole, raw or cooked. Large mushrooms should be sliced and sauteed in butter before freezing. They don't need to be blanched first. Button mushrooms should be placed on a cookie sheet and frozen uncovered. Once frozen, place in containers suitable for freezing. For larger mushrooms, after cooking place in suitable containers with the liquid you cooked them in.
I read a recipe for beef that says to cook in the oven at 175 F for 8 hours, is this safe?
- No. When cooking beef roasts, the oven temperature should be no lower than 250°F (120°C). To ensure the food is cooked to a safe temperature, use a food thermometer. Foods cooked at too low a temperature for a long period of time may allow dangerous bacteria to grow.
- Hi. I bought some fresh pasta sauce,without meat,from the store at the beginning of Feb. I got it home and froze it straight away. I defrosted it on Friday (8th Feb) in the refrigerator. It is unopened and the use-by date is only the 22nd Feb,so it's not out of date yet. Is it safe? It's been in the fridge since last Friday,so 6 days ,but as i say,is unopened and still within it's Use By date. Just worried freezing it might have made it dangerous to eat. Thanks
- Just the opposite. Once you freeze food, the best before date is no longer applicable. Freezing does not destroy bacteria, but it does stop its growth. You may still eat the sauce. Make sure to heat it thoroughly.
- I was given some jars of baby foods where their expiry dates have passed. They told me that they would not be any problems with the food. What should I do? How long can we keep expired foods such as cake in its packaging, small ravioli dishes? I eat them on a regular basis and I feel fine. Thank you!
- Expired food should not be used and this is quite true for baby food. Although there might not be any safety issues with a well-sealed baby food jar, once the best before date has passed, the wholesomeness, quality and nutrition values of the food might have changed and knowing how important good nutrition is important to a baby, it would be hazardous to use baby food that has passed it expiry date. I would not recommend the use of those jars of baby food.
- Hi! I would like to know what is the internal cooking temperature of a chipolata sausage and a merguez sausage. Your recommendations in the past have been quite helpful for my cooking in the oven. I would like to succeed with my BBQ. Thank yoy very much to you and your team.
- Fresh sausages made from ground beef or pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of 71ºC (160ºF). Fresh sausages made from ground chicken or turkey should be cooked to an internal temperature of 74ºC (165ºF).
- I defrosted chicken breasts in the microwave last night, but had to leave fast before I could cook them. I placed them in zip lock bags and put then in the refrigerator. I wanted to still use them for dinner tonight, are they still good???
- Frozen meats and poultry that have been defrosted in the microwave need to be cooked immediately upon thawing. As defrosting in the microwave can result in uneven thawing and warm spots, bacteria have an opportunity to become active and multiply if not cooked immediately.
- what is a best and safe way to prepare hot dogs for a party two hours in advance & keep them warm till they are served, can they be cooked in crock pot with no water added if so how long do you cook them in crock pot ????
- Hot dogs should be reheated according to package directions or bring to a boil and cook for five minutes. Do not use a crock pot/slow cooker as it is not designed for reheating of food safely.
- I have seal packaged ground chicken which i kept in the freezer and than i thought i was gonna make it so i thawed it overnight in the refrigerator unopened, and than decided not to and put it back in the freezer. the expiry date has passed, is it still ok to cook?
- Once you freeze a food, the expiry date is not applicable anymore as the freezing process extends the shelf life of the food. If the grounded chicken still had ice crystals present on the package, it would be fine to refreeze it. So if the thawing of the chicken was less than 24 hours in the refrigerator, it should be fine.
- Following a mistake made in the electrical plugs at home, we ahve unplugged the freezer and left for a week vacation. There was meat and vegetables. When we came back, everything had thawed out but still cold. Initially, we though of throwing out everything but would it be possible to autoclave everything (1 bar at 120 degrees C for an hour) and consume/freeze. I know that we would kill bacteria and spores but I am worrying about toxins.....
- You are absolutely right to worry about toxins that would not be destroyed by cooking. Freezer that has been unplugged will keep the food frozen for the first 24 hours. After that, there will be gradual thawing. After a week, I kind of understood that everything has thawed out. If there are no ice crystals present and if the food were not maintaned at 4 degrees C or less at all time, meats and vegetables should be thrown out.
- Is it better to use canned meat to prepare meals?
- All depend of what the consumer wants. To a safety point of view, canned meats would be safer because they have already receive a heat process that will destroy pathogens. However, canned goods might have tendency to contain high sodium levels that are not always suitable to all diets.
- Waht is the effect of temperature on the quality of a lunch box?
- The temperature is inversely proportionnal to the quality of lunch and box but it will be directly proportional to the growth of bacteria thus increasing the chances of food poisoning. The lower the temperature will be, the higher the quality of the food in the lunch box will be. Inversely, the higher the temperature would be in the box, the higher the count of bacteria would be, increasing chances of food poisoning.
- I've had lasagne in my frig for 2 weeks it still taste good. But I'm worried about the frig and frezzing guidlines for it and contamination.please let me know if it's ok to eat.
- Lasagna will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days but if you would have frozen it, it would have kept for 3 months. Two weeks is a very long time to keep a perishable food inthe refrigerator. Throw it out.
- Can frozen Soy burgers & veggie burgers be refrozen after they have thawed?
- It depends for how long and how they have been thawed. If they were thawed in the refrigerator and they still contains ice crystals and they are very cold to the touch, they can be frozen again. Otherwise, cook them thoroughly and then freeze them if you cannot eat them right away.
- Hi Mrs. Cookwell. For a study, I came upon a model to show the temperature evolutio of a food during cooking. To verify my results, I need to know how to define and determine the ideal cooking temperature. Thank you!
- That kind of work needs a lot of research if you want to establish the proper cooking temperature for a given food that will make the food safe to eat. You might have to do a lot of research for its explanation or take already established safe cooking temperature in your country. In the research, you have to consider the type of food, the level of contamination, type of microorganism involved and the log reduction to achieve in a temperature/ time relationship to level where the food will be safe to eat. it is complicated!
- I took pork chops out of the freezer two days ago and put it in the fridge. We want to BBQ them tonight. Would the meat still be good. Is it safe to eat? Thank you.
- If you give at least 24 hours for the meat to thaw in the refrigerator and count the time after that 24 hours, the meat will still be good to cook and eat. Pork meat will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 days.
- I made a casserole that has mayonaise in it and cooked it in the oven and have been keeping it in a pyrex dish in one of the carriers that will keep the food warm. How long will the casserole be safe warmed and in this carrier?
- If the temperature of the casserole dips under 60 degrees C (140 degrees F) it will be safe for two hours. Food has to be kept above that temperature or below 4 degrees C (40 degree F) to be safe. Between these temperatures, the food is in the danger zone.
- I left some red meat out over night in a cooler with no ice. Is the meat still safe to eat?
- No, your meat will not be safe to eat as it was most likely exposed at temperatures above 4 degrees C (40 degrees) for more than 2 hours.
- My freezer was unplugged for about five days, there were chunks of ice still in the freezer, are the weiners ok to refreeze they are totally thawed out .
- If the wieners were completely thawed out meaning that there were no ice crystals stuck on the package, they should not be refrozen as you would not know how long they were in that defrosted state. They would need to be used or thrown out depending of the time they could have been exposed a temperatures above 4 degrees C (40) for more than 2 hours.
- I cooked 3 boneless chicken breasts at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.Left them out to cool for an hour. When I started to put them in a plastic bag to refrigerate them, I noticed that the liquid from them was pink. Can I re-cook them. I want to make chicken salad. thanks in advance
- You cannot count on the colour of the meat to make sure it is properly cooked. To be sure and safe, use a food thermometer to measure the temperature; taking a reading in the thickest part of the breast until it reads 74 degrees C (165 degrees F). Bigger breasts might need more time to cook. As long as the breasts have not been temperature abused, you can cook them again to the right temperature.
- Can thawed pre-cooked hamburgers be refrozen? If not, how long can they be kept in the refrigerator before cooking them?
- it depends. If there are ice crystals still present in the meat or the packaging, they can be refrozen. Otherwise, it is recommended to cook them fully and then freeze the cooked meat. Once thawed, partly cooked meat will keep in the refrigerator for two days.
- My spaghetti is well drained and when I add the sauce there is water in the plate. What can I do? Thanks!
- If the noodles are well drained, it is possible that the water comes from the sauce especially if it is home made and has been frozen. Once thawed, there is always a lot of water. You could probably thicken the sauce.
- Ihave opened a can of rouille sauce a month ago. Can I still eat it?
- The sauce has been around for some times now and I would not recommend you to eat it.
- Hi! I would like to know the following. I consumed some chipo and merguez coming from a freezer and I noticed that the freezer is moldy in the corners and in little containers that are in. Would that cause any problems to me as I am pregnants? Thank you!!!
- There should be no direct risks for you following consumption of these previously frozen and cooked foods before being consumed. However, your friend should clean the freezer and disinfect it.
- How long can unopened weiners last for. (no expiry date on them). Bought them in May and have been refrigerated since.Now July. They look good, but not sure if they should be consumed?
- It is surprising that you do not have an expiry date on the packaging. If the package haven't been opened, the weiners should keep for 2 weeks from the date of purchase in the refrigerator.
- My side by side refrigerator went out, by the time I could get the meat in an ice chest with ice the roasts, hamburger & chichen had thawed. As I put them in the ice chest they didn't feel that cold. it will be sitting in the ice chest all day today until the new refrg/freezer comes late today. Dumb question but is it safe to re-freeze.
- From what you are describing, it doesn't seem to be wise to re-freeze the meat. If all the meat was above 4 degrees C (40 degrees F) for more than two hours, it should be thrown out. The fact that you are indicating that they were not that cold to the touch would be an indication that they are not suitable to consume. If the meat or poultry were very cold and had ice crystals still present, it would have been safe to re-freeze. If the meat was thawed but still at refrigeration temperature, you could cook it all and freeze the cooked meat. But it seems here that the meat went further than that.
- I want to thaw some crab sections and extract the meat and refreeze it. At what temperature should the meat be and how long do I have before it has to be frozen again. Our freezers are from -25 to -40 degrees C. Is it safe to have the room at 4 degrees C. Thank you for you help!Madeleine, Quality Control, LNSCommunity Seafood coop
- Crab is a highly perishable food. It is okay to refreeze food when it has not thawed completely and ice crystals are still present. A room at 4 degrees C (40 degrees F) or less (refrigeration temperature) is the ideal temperature to handle food. If the crab meat is thawed completely and you intend to sell it, you will have to handle the meat quickly and keep it cold at all time pour la recongeler le plus rapidement possible. However, it would be wise to cook it first and freeze it after.
- How long will sliced bacon last in the fridge if it has been frozen?
- Once thawed in the refrigerator, sliced bacon should last up to four days.
- Hi. Is there any way to safely serve cold kielbasa (originally vacuum-packed)to my 9-year old in her school lunch? The sausage would be packed in her insulated lunch box with an ice brick and eaten 3.5 hrs. later. Thanks.
- You seem to have the right equipement on hand for your son's lunch. The insulated bag and the ice brick should do the trick to keep his lunch cold for that period of time. A frozen juice container could be used as well. It is always what I would recommend parents to do.
- I purchased hot beef patties on Monday, put them in the refrigerator about two hours after, kept them in the refrigerator for five, should I throw them out?
- If you are saying that you put them in the refrigerator after two hours of purchase and kept them for 5 hours, they should be fine. But if you are talking about 5 days in the refrigerator, then, they should be thrown out.
- I made meat balls last night for lunch today. By mistake i left them on the stove (which I turned off) over night. The meat balls were cover all night and in a sauce. Can I still reheat and eat the meatballs.
- Absolutely not. It would be dangerous to consume those meat balls. They have spent more than two hours at room temperature and this is enough time for harmful bacteria to growth and make you sick. Even if they were covered, spores present and resisting to heat will start to germinate and growth. And reheating them will not get rid of any toxins that could be present. Discard them.
- I have often cooked a whole chicken in my slow cooker. I just bought a new slow cooker and it says in the instructions specifically not to cook whole poultry as safe cooking temperatures near the bone cannot be reached quickly enough. It also warns against using frozen meat in the cooker and I have always used frozen meat in my other cooker with no problem - what are your thoughts?
- Instructions given by your new slow cooker should be followed and I would entirely agree with them. It could be hazardous to cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker as the internal cooking temperature of 85 degrees C (185 degrees F) is not reach in a reasonable time using the slow cooker. For frozen meat, cooking time is much longer because of the frozen state of the meat and again, a slow cokker might take much more time to reach safe cooking temperature. Instructions of the slow cooker should be followed.
- Can we cooked frozen white chicken meat fillets even if the expiry date has passed?
- If the white chicken fillets were purchased fresh and were frozen at home, the best before date doesn't hold anymore because we know that freezing food extends their shelf life. However, if the fillets were purchased frozen and kept that way, they still could be cooked and consumed but there could be a reduction in quality and nutrition values.
- My mother bought home crab cakes from work last Saturday and they have been sealed in a topper ware container. I wanted to know if it was safe to still eat them, it will be 7 days today.
- It might be hazardous to eat them as crab meat is highly perishable and its shelf life even in the refrigerator should be of two to three days. And since you do not have any ideas how they have been handled at your mom's office....
- Can I cook a whole Chicken tonight and then reheat it for tomorrows supper. Or do I have to remove the bones from them first.
- The meat separates much easier from the bones when the chicken is warm. However, if you put your whole cooked chicken in the refrigerator as soon as it has been cooked and reheat it tomorrow, you will still be able to remove the meat out of the bones easily then.
- After warming up a fully cooked boneless ham in the oven for approx 2 hours, can it sit on the counter for an hour and 15 mins while I cook scalloped potatoes?
- It is not recommended to leave intentionally perishable food at room temperature even if it is for less than 2 hours. You might end up forgetting it and leave it there for more than 2 hours. And then if you intend to serve it after the scalloped potatoes are done, there will only be 45 minutes left before to do something safe to keep the ham.
- I always freeze my stuffed peppers after I cook them. Is this ok?
- Your cooked stuffed peppers can be frozen without any problem. Make sure that you will thaw them in the refrigerator and heat them up well before serving.
- I took home the tukey carcass my mom made for dinner on Sunday. Monday morning I started simmering it with water to make turkey soup. After a few hours, I put it in the fridge (in a pot) for it to cool down before removing the bones. We had a family emergency and was not able to finish making the soup. It is now Thursday morning. Is it safe to finish making, or should I just throw it out? If I have to throw it out, can you recommend another way for me to make the soup without cooking a whole turkey(I still have tons of vegetables ready to be thrown in a soup).
- As long as you kept the turkey carcass under refrigeration during transportation from your mother`s place and at your home, you should not have any problem with the turkey. Cooked turkey will keep refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. You have to finish it today.
- Hi! I made chicken soup with whole chicken pieces. After simmering about 2 hours, I took out the chicken to let it cool enough to remove the bones. I forgot about it and came back to the project about 8 hours later. My kitchen is about 70F. If I put the chicken back in the soup and simmer again for 2 hours, will it be safe? I thought that if it stayed above 71 C (160F) or so that it would be fine, but hubby says no way. Thank you.
- Your hubby is right. The soup or one of its ingredients has been kept at room temperature for longer than 2 hours. Chicken is such a perishable food and it is known to cause food poisoning if not properly cooked. Your kitchen at 70 degrees F is a good temperature for bacterial growth. Simmering the chicken for another two hours in the soup might get right of some bacteria tha could have grown during that eight hours but it will not be able to get rid of toxins that those bacteria could have produced. Throw everything out and start fresh again.
- Hi, can I store homemade spaghetti sauce with hamburger and sausage in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days? I have heard it doesn't taste as good if you freeze it. Thanks!
- That might be true. Frozen foods go through some transformation and depending of the time you keep it in the freezer, taste may change. However it is the best way to keep food for long periods of time. As for keeping it for three to four days, your spaghetti sauce should last for that period of time but it will be the limit; 4 days.
- I am starting a mobile canteen selling Hot dogs. I would like to know what is the best; Use of a grill for the wieners or a special machine for hot dogs and I would like to know what is the real recipe for hot dogs? Thank you!
- To start a mobile sale of hot dogs, you might want to talk to your local health authorities and obtain a permit of operation if needed. For the real recipe for hot dogs, you might want to search on the internet for ideas. If you think healthy, you might want to use all beef sausages or even chicken wieners. Your customers might indicate what they prefer. Ingredients well liked are oignons, mustard, ketchup, relish and jalapeno peppers. For cooking them, a grill might be prefered over the other machine. Again your clientele will be able to tell you. Good luck!
- I have cooked/refrigerated leftover turkey from saturday evening. After it has been refrigerated for 4 days is it safe to freeze it.
- Leftover turkey would keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It would be safe to freeze at day 4.
- Hi! I would like to know how long a roast or other meat should stay on the counter after cooking to cool down. After a meal, I place it in the refrigerator without a lid. After cooling down completely, I put the lid back on. Thank you and Happy New year!
- All cooked meat should be refrigerated as soon as possible after cooking. If the meat is very hot, it can stay at room emperature for 30 minutes before being refrigerated. The danger with this practice is that you may forget about it and the meat ended up staying much longer without refrigeration. If possible, it is recommended to cut the meat and put it in smaller container to accelerate refrigeration. You are doing well by storing the meat without the lid and putting it on later.